From the New York Times…
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and saute over medium heat until they are golden brown and beginning to crisp. Remove the onions from the skillet and drain on absorbent paper.
- Slice tomatoes horizontally one-half-inch thick. Dip slices in milk, then coat with flour.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet, add the tomato slices and saute until golden brown on one side. Turn and saute until golden on the other side, drain briefly, season to taste with salt and pepper then serve sprinkled with fried onions.