Adapted from the New York Times TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds white turnips
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Peel turnips and cut into one-and-a-half-inch pieces. Put them in heavy saucepan with orange juice, stock and one tablespoon butter. Season with salt and pepper; simmer uncovered until the turnips are tender and the liquid has evaporated (about 20 minutes). If more liquid is needed to cook the turnips, add a little more water.
- Add the remaining butter and the sugar to the turnips and continue cooking them, turning them with a spoon, until they are glazed. Sprinkle them with the grated orange peel and thyme leaves. Correct seasoning and serve.