Adapted from the New York Times TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes INGREDIENTS 1 1/2 pounds white turnips 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock 2 tablespoons butter Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper 3 tablespoons grated orange peel 1 teaspoon sugar 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves PREPARATION 1.Peel turnips and cut into […]
- 1 1/2 pounds white turnips
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Peel turnips and cut into one-and-a-half-inch pieces. Put them in heavy saucepan with orange juice, stock and one tablespoon butter. Season with salt and pepper; simmer uncovered until the turnips are tender and the liquid has evaporated (about 20 minutes). If more liquid is needed to cook the turnips, add a little more water.
- Add the remaining butter and the sugar to the turnips and continue cooking them, turning them with a spoon, until they are glazed. Sprinkle them with the grated orange peel and thyme leaves. Correct seasoning and serve.
TOTAL TIME 45 minutes INGREDIENTS 3 tablespoons unsalted butter 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (4 to 6 leeks) 2 garlic cloves, minced 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, in 1-inch dice 1 1/2 cups milk or half-and-half Salt and ground white pepper 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves for garnish PREPARATION 1.Melt butter in a […]
- 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (4 to 6 leeks)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, in 1-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups milk or half-and-half
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves for garnish
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Add leeks, and sauté slowly over low heat until tender but not brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic.
- Add sweet potatoes and 3 cups water. Simmer about 20 minutes, until tender. Purée.
- Return purée to saucepan, add milk or half-and-half, bring to a simmer, add 1 to 1 1/2 cups more water to make soup no thicker than heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and serve with a dusting of cilantro.
From the New York Times… 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 cup sliced onion 2 medium green tomatoes 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup flour Salt and freshly ground black pepper PREPARATION 1.Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and saute over medium heat until they are golden brown and […]
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and saute over medium heat until they are golden brown and beginning to crisp. Remove the onions from the skillet and drain on absorbent paper.
- Slice tomatoes horizontally one-half-inch thick. Dip slices in milk, then coat with flour.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet, add the tomato slices and saute until golden brown on one side. Turn and saute until golden on the other side, drain briefly, season to taste with salt and pepper then serve sprinkled with fried onions.
Adapted from the internet.. 2 tablespoons oil 1 small onion, chopped (3/4 C) 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp) 1 jalapenos or 1 serrano chili, minced (optional) 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed 1/8 teaspoon oregano 1/4 cup tequila 12 ounces swiss chard, trimmed 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas 1 cup light monterey jack cheese, grated Heat oil in pot over medium heat; add onion and saute 5 minutes, until golden. Stir in garlic, chile, cumin and […]
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (3/4 C)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 jalapenos or 1 serrano chili, minced (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 12 ounces swiss chard, trimmed
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup light monterey jack cheese, grated
Adapted from Rachel Ray 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 small onion, thinly sliced 10 to 12 cups red chard (2 bunches trimmed and coarsely chopped) Grated nutmeg, to your taste Coarse salt and pepper 2 tablespoons red wine or cider vinegar Make sure your greens are very dry before preparing recipe. Also, wash and
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 10 to 12 cups red chard (2 bunches trimmed and coarsely chopped)
- Grated nutmeg, to your taste
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine or cider vinegar
Thanks to Robin from Mister Bagel in Brunswick for this one… 5 medium zucchini grated 3 eggs, well beaten 1/3 cup all-purpose flour pepper, onion, garlic, to taste herbed tomato sauce favorite pizza toppings, cheese, meats, etc. Preheat oven 450°F. Drain the grated zucchini in needed. Place the zucchini pulp in mixing bowl with […]
These vegetables are made for grilling/pan searing. Remove the stems and ends and slice longways, about 1/4 inch thick. Brush with olive oil that has salt, pepper and paprika (optional). The grill or pan should be very hot before adding the squash. Resist the urge to turn them until they are well browned/starting to blacken […]
This is our favorite traditional Basil Pesto, adapted from Mark Bittman 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves Salt 1 clove garlic 2 Tablespoons pine nuts/walnuts 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese Process the basil, salt nuts and half the oil. Scrape down the bowl and add the remaining oil slowly […]
(adapted from Joy of Cooking) 20-30 Sprouts halved lengthwise (cutting the stem) 4 Tablespoons butter o2 2 Tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced 2-3 tablespoons grated parmesean cheese Warm the butter/oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown the garlic. Remove the garlic and add the […]
(adapted from the Joy of Cooking) 3 Tablespoons Butter 1/4 cup chopped, toatstes nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds or pecans) 1 pound of Brussels sprouts (about 2 cups) With a knife make a shallow “x” on the bottom of each sprout (this helps them steam evenly). Steam them for 10-15 minutes, remove from heat and cut […]