- 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (4 to 6 leeks)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, in 1-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups milk or half-and-half
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves for garnish
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Add leeks, and sauté slowly over low heat until tender but not brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic.
- Add sweet potatoes and 3 cups water. Simmer about 20 minutes, until tender. Purée.
- Return purée to saucepan, add milk or half-and-half, bring to a simmer, add 1 to 1 1/2 cups more water to make soup no thicker than heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and serve with a dusting of cilantro.